What to Consider When You Plan to Study Abroad



What to Consider When You Plan to Study Abroad

Share on Facebook

Study abroad may be among the most frequent university bucket-list items. As more and more students decide to take a few weeks, an entire calendar year, or someplace in between exploring another corner of the planet, options have grown exponentially. Having options is great, but so many can make your decision process complex. Where do you want to go? For how long? And how much does it cost? Here’s everything that you need to know before you consider going abroad for studies.


One of the first things many students wonder when researching study overseas would be, “Can I afford it?” And rightfully so. When planning my own study overseas trip, among the first things I did was have a conversation with all the financial aid office at my university, and I still ended up needing to iron things out afterwards. Gradhopper’s Study Abroad Budget Planning is a great tool to find associated costs in each stage of your journey. 

  • Tuition

Tuition fee may vary yearly and it will depend on where the university located in the country. Tuition fee is the biggest piece of total cost.  Some schools partner with others overseas to offer tuition prices very similar to what you pay in the home, study abroad could be included in your tuition, or scholarships you already have may apply to those prices. So, make sure you check with your university’s study abroad office and financial aid offices.

  • Scholarships

Before you panic about how much this experience can cost, consider the help of scholarships and other help. As you may not get enough to cover your whole invoice, scholarships you currently receive for university may apply, and there are lots of study abroad–specific scholarships out there to help offset costs. For candidates who choose Canada as their study or research destination, they can explore whole bunch of scholarship and funding opportunities available to support your study or research here

  • Visas and Passport

If you’re going to be registered in university abroad, you’ll probably need a student visa, and if you’re staying for longer and functioning (and getting paid), then you’ll need more paperwork: Some countries like Canada allow student to work while studying and also provide work permit after you graduate. And regardless of where you move, you’ll need a passport. Be certain to apply for each these things with plenty of time, since processing can take weeks or perhaps weeks.

  • Housing

Based on where you go, you may have more choices in this class. You may live in a dorm, with a household, with other students, or in an apartment, and costs can vary widely.

  • Travel

Are you going to have the time to travel to other areas of the country or continent during the time that you’re abroad? Even if you don’t make definitive plans early on, be sure to put some money aside if that is something that you know you will want to do.

  • Plane Tickets 

These are a big chunk of your costs, so consider flying at weird times of the day per night to find lower prices. Use tools such as Google Flights to help you compare airlines and flight times and use incognito manner in your browser so that the costs do not get jacked up the next time you hunt.

  • Travel Insurance 

Insurance for the trip can cover missing luggage and changes in programs. You might also need to pay additional for medical insurance abroad. Some schools or programs need that, so be sure to double check.

  • Food

Chances are you’ll eat out more abroad than you do at home to sample all the foreign food options. And in case you aren’t living on a university campus, you likely won’t have a meal plan, so you’ll have to grocery shop by yourself but this saves lot of money.


Now that we have the chilling part from the way, it’s time to decide what you’ll really be doing overseas and for how long. When most people consider study overseas, they usually envision taking classes in a foreign exchange for a complete session –but if this isn’t your cup of tea, don’t worry! There are lots of other alternatives.

If you’re searching for something short term, many universitys offer programs in which you take a class on campus then take a brief trip, usually above a scheduled rest, with different students and professors. There are even some applications where you forego the course and any learning comes only from experiencing another culture firsthand to get a couple weeks. If you’re searching for something even less academic, there are lots of businesses which lead trips designed especially for university students and young adults. Each one of these options is excellent if you do not have a huge budget or are nervous about spending a very long time away from house.

At the vein of more traditional study abroad, there is always the tried-and-true option of taking classes on a foreign university campus during autumn or spring semester. The main catch here is devoting a whole semester, ensuring you can still graduate on time, figuring out which courses will return to your home university, or even keeping any financial aid. If you do not need to be away from campus during the school year, spending a summer abroad is another choice.

If a semester doesn’t sound like enough time away, there is always the gap year choice for the truly adventurous. This choice is great if you’re going to graduate and cannot match anything in before you leave campus. Additionally, it may be a wonderful buffer between university and the “real world.”

Finally, if you want to go for bachelor, master, or doctoral degree in a foreign unversity, you will be living in that country for 2-4 years depending on the program.


Since the whole purpose of school is (mostly) to find an education, it is essential to keep your degree program at your house university in your mind when making decisions concerning research abroad. Does the school you are looking at have comparable programs and classes to the one in your home? Will your classes transfer back? Will you stay on track to graduate when you intend to? It may be a bit less overpowering if you talk to your academic advisor, who will probably have experience working with students who have studied overseas. If your courses will not match perfectly with your home university, you may have the ability to take courses over the summer or winter breaks to compensate for missing credits. If you can’t match a study abroad experience into your undergrad application needs, some students decide to acquire their master’s degree abroad.


Another logistical barrier is that the potential language barrier. If you are a Language or worldwide Studies major, you might choose to immerse yourself in another language. But if you’re not, this idea could terrify you. Personally, I took my semester abroad in Ireland, where everyone speaks English, however I have the best respect for people who opt to reside, work, and learn where the primary language is not their own. When deciding where to go overseas, here’s another question to think about: do you understand a lot of a foreign language to get together, or are you willing to dive in headfirst and learn as you go? However, many universites have the English proficient requirement for admission. Therefore, you have to take IETLS, TOFEL, or any other approved test required by the university. Gradhopper offers free English exam preparation video series for student to achieve a higher score.

There are many areas where you might be able to survive without much knowledge of the native language, but if you’re not satisfied with only English, then you have several options to consider. With online services like Duolingo. Additionally, there are organizations that offer language-intensive apps either before you leave or while you’re overseas, making a more immersive experience. It is worth keeping in mind that there are lots of areas with large populations of near-fluent English speakers. But, be certain to talk with a person who’s been there prior to or your school’s study abroad coordinator, as hoping that individuals in a foreign country will speak your language is much to rely on.

The decision to study overseas is a large one in anybody’s university career. Students frequently have boundless questions, but I hope I’ve answered some here (or given you some more to consider). It’s the ideal way to learn and grow from a study abroad experience!


For many international students, obtaining a degree in a top-notch university is a dream comes true; on the other hand, the high tuition cost is a worrying factor for them. To be able to ensure that their studies are not affected due to lack of funds, many students look out for part-time jobs. Unfortunately, different nations have different rules about working while studying.


International students at Canadian Universities can operate equally on-campus in addition to off-campus, until they have they have the necessary permit and only if they are full time students of one of the following institutions; -Public Higher Education Institution -Private Higher Education Institution with 50% federal funding -Personal Institution with consent to give levels For postsecondary employment, students are allowed only 20 hours per week and more. For on-campus employment, usually there are no limitations. But, some degeree programs may have limitations for on-campus or off-campus work eligibility. 

  • USA

If you want to study in a full-time schedule in USA, you require a student visa. There are two kinds of student visas available here, ‘F’ and ‘M’ visas. The F-1 visa is for students entering in USA for following an academic program at an accredited university/university. At the end of program, it should culminate into a degree, diploma or certificate. On the other hand, the M-1 visa is allowed for students in non-academic, vocational or language programs. F-1 pupils can’t work off-campus for the first but might seek out on-campus employment. F-1 and M-1can seek off-campus employment just in an area related to their class and they also need authorization from Designated School Official prior to beginning work.

  • UK

International students can work in the UK, but with many exceptions; there are a few students that are prohibited from working. Those students that are in the UK on a Tier 4/students visa can receive their visa stamped as ‘allowed work’ with limitations. There are various exceptions that must be followed closely by students. After students have these stamps, there’s no need to contact the Secretaries of State for Employment. International students are permitted to perform the following types of work: -Vacation Employment or Part Time Employment: 20 hours during term time and full-time during holidays. If pupil applies for Tier 4 visa for a course below bachelor’s degree, then they can work just for 10 hours during weekly. -Work Placement in Sandwich Courses: People courses wherein work placements are a component are called sandwich courses. Under these courses, job placement is clearly an integral component and can be approved by the University. No matter how the work placement shouldn’t extend after the completion of course.


Pupils from European Economic Area (EEA) are free to seek employment while studying in Ireland; however non-EEA students may take up casual employment (up to 20 hours a week during semester or full-time during vacation) only if their course is of at least 1 academic year. Furthermore, the course has to be included in the government’s internationalization register. The best to function finishes upon finishing the class unless extension has been allowed for third level graduates. It is important to note that while you apply for your visa, you’ll need to prove that you have sufficient funds to cover the cost of the course and that you do not have to rely on any source of income. Upon the expiry of the student’s visa, students are not permitted to work; special applications need to be created for seeking employment after graduation. If pupils are attending a base or preparatory course, they’re not allowed to work in Ireland. 


Many international students in Germany opt to work while finishing their studies. While EEA students may look for employment openly, non-EEA students have a few limitations and requirements to meet to be able to work while studying. International students are permitted to operate 90 full days or 180 half days annually. Students don’t require any kind of authorization from Employment Agency for this purpose.


In order to have the ability to study in Australia, you will have to acquire a student visa. Based on student visa, students are permitted to work for specific amount of hours. Pupils are allowed ‘Permission to Work’ below their student visa and they are able to take up just 40 hours of work per fortnight when the university is in session and full-time during holidays. It’s very important to be aware that voluntary, unpaid work that benefits the community isn’t included in the 40-hour limitation. The 40-hour fortnight principle is also not relevant to Postgraduate research students who are performing masters through research or are pursuing a doctorate class; such students may work unlimited.


International students in France have the capability to work in France on the state that they are registered in an institute that gives access to student social security strategy. According to the law, students can work around 964 hours maximum per year. Students do not need getting any Temporary Work License (APT) to be able to work while studying. But Algerian pupils whose status is defined by the French-Algerian Arrangement want the APT. International students analyzing France also can take up student employment at educational institutions with jobs like receiving pupils, encouraging socially handicapped students, computer assistance etc. But for these roles, contracts have to be signed which can be of 12 months maximum September 1 to August 31st.


An international student in Norway carrying a student resident permit isn’t allowed to seek employment. However, students may use to acquire part time license or allow to seek employment during vacations. Furthermore, full time job, however for a limited time period can be sought. Along with the work permit application, a letter needs to be submitted by the faculty / faculty saying that the student’s studies won’t be affected due to work. Applications for work permit are to be filed at the nearest police station. It’s important to note that most Norwegian institutes don’t have post-secondary job, thus students might have to look for work outside.


International students studying in Singapore are not permitted to operate, unless they’re issued a Work Pass exemption by the Employment of Foreign Manpower (Work Pass Exemptions) Notification. For full-time international students pursuing a degree at one of those Singaporean Faculties, part-time work is permitted which shouldn’t be more than 16 hours per week during term time and full-time during holidays. You don’t have to create any applications in the event the work in within the limited hours and if you are studying at one of those universities approved by the Ministry of Manpower. Most associations also offer internships and following the completion of your course, the company is most likely to keep the student because their worker.


International students in New Zealand can work while doing their studies, but there are a few rules and limitations which need to be adopted. Students on a Pupils Visa can work up to 20 hours per week in part-time tasks during term time and fulltime during holidays or holidays. To be able to operate 20 hours/week on of these prerequisites; -The application leads to obtaining a New Zealand qualification that helps gather points under ‘Skilled Migrant Category’. -The program consists of 2 years -The course is an English language class Apart from 20 hours work limit, some pupils are permitted special grants to operate more. For instance, if the analysis program requires a fixed number of hours for work experience, then the 20-hour principle could be exempted. Students who have enrolled to get a 1-year course with 120 credits, can work whole time during scheduled breaks; nonetheless when the program is of 1 year but not 120 credits, then total time work is permissible only during Christmas and New Year holidays. Lastly, ensure that the visa in the passport conditions you could work, without which working isn’t allowed. Therefore, the above presented guide can help international students to determine if they’ll be able to make or not while they’re at a foreign land studying. It can help you to choose your selection of country where you cannot just study but also earn to support your studies. There are many different states that enable international students to work while studying abroad.
















Share on Facebook